Saturday, December 13, 2008

Response to "5 types of Facebook Trolls"

5 Types of Facebook Trolls, and what to do with them

Troll type: Old-time Nobody Confirm or Ignore? Confirm


Agreed. It's actually kind of fun, in my opinion, to look up people you haven't seen since before they hit puberty, just to see what they look like now, if for no other reason.

Troll type: New service addict Confirm or Ignore? Ignore

I can't honestly say I've ever had this problem, though I agree with the verdict. Can't have too many pointless web-related emails spamming my inbox - I draw the line at requests to join vampire fb games.

Troll type: Bar friend Confirm or Ignore? Confirm

Hmmm...this is a hard one. Confirm, but added to a list that doesn't include my address or AIM. Besides, you could even argue that fb profiles are created for these types of people - those you hardly know, but that you would like to think of you as "sexy." This is why photos are carefully tagged/untagged in a selective form of self-promotion aimed towards those people who don't know "what you're really like."

Troll type: The stranger Confirm or Ignore? Think first

I've only gotten these types of requests a handful of times, and usually I send a very polite message apologizing for forgetting where we met. If they respond with a reminder, I confirm, if not, I ignore.

Troll type: The ghost Confirm or Ignore? Remove

I have to admit, when I first read this label, I thought it meant those people who you are fb friends with and have since passed away. The kind of ghost the author refers to, though, is someone completely different, and I agree with the verdict. However, I think we should consider what to do about my version of "the ghost." It's very strange to see them pop up on your friends list or especially "birthday reminder" sidebar, but I particularly find it interesting that their walls and pages become an homage to their lives. I think for that reason, these "ghosts" should be a "keep."

Any thoughts?

No comments: